Applications are now being accepted for the Fitness Attendant position. Reporting to the Fitness Coordinator, the Fitness Attendant supervises clients in the fitness centre, designs basic fitness programs, provides assistance with technique and fitness centre orientations; ensures fitness centre guidelines are followed, and maintains the cleanliness of the fitness centre.
Successful candidates may be employed by the following organizations: West Richmond, Sea Island, Thompson, South Arm, Cambie, City Centre, Hamilton Community Associations; Steveston Community Society; Richmond Fitness and Wellness Association (Note: Not all organizations may be hiring for this position).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Communicate procedures and guidelines to clients.
- Provide internal marketing and promotions as required.
- Provide weight room orientations; interact with clients, field questions and complaints and address or forward questions/ concerns to supervisor.
- Answer general and specific questions related to physical activity and exercise.
- Maintain control and discipline of unruly clients with tact and consistency; enforce general rules of conduct including facility guidelines.
- Design and instruct basic resistance training program for healthy clients.
- Teach small groups on equipment in fitness centre.
- Attend staff meetings, education seminars and events as required.
- Supervise fitness facilities to ensure safety of the environment and clients and minimize risks.
- Ensure clients wear appropriate attire and footwear.
- Manage injuries/accidents according to level of first aid training obtained.
- Monitor equipment; provide minor maintenance to equipment; keep the room clear of obstacles; return all equipment to the proper location.
- Take broken or damaged equipment/apparatus out of commission and report the problem to supervisor.
- Maintain a clean environment, such as sanitizing, dusting, sweeping and vacuuming all surfaces, mats and balls, equipment and exercise areas.
- Ensure clients are checked in/registered appropriately within all fitness facilities/areas.
- May assist front desk attendants during peak periods.
- Prepare and maintain records, activity reports and requisitions; maintain equipment inventories.
- Complete first aid and incident report forms.
- Other related duties as assigned, which may vary according to facility.
- High school graduation plus completion of BCRPA Weight Training Leader designation or accepted equivalent and six months volunteer or work experience with the public, or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- Must have considerable knowledge on proper exercise techniques and use of equipment
- Must have considerable knowledge on the theory of movement, body mechanics, and prevention and management of sports-related injuries
- Basic computer skills
- Standard or Emergency First Aid and CPR
- Successful applicant must pass a Police Information Check
- Degree/Diploma in a related field such as Human Kinetics or Kinesiology
- One year or more related work experience
- Additional BCRPA registration (Group Fitness, Aquatic Fitness, Weight Training, Yoga Fitness, Pilates Fitness, Osteofit, Adapted Fitness, Third Age designation, Personal Training, etc.)
- Second language
Compensation and Benefits:
How to Apply:
This is an ongoing job posting. To apply for this position, please email email@example.com
(Adobe PDF or MS Word format only)
This position is restricted to those legally entitled to work in Canada.
Duties may be carried out in a City owned facility, however the City is not the Employer for this position.