Summer Support Worker
Applications are now being accepted for Support Worker position with Richmond community associations in Parks and Recreation. Reporting to the Association Child Care Coordinator or Director of Child Care Services, the Support Worker provides support when a child requiring extra support is in attendance, ensures the well-being of the child(ren) in the program and promotes their development in assisting the child(ren) in their physical, social, emotional and daily life skills development.
Successful candidates may be employed at the following organizations: West Richmond, Sea Island, Thompson, South Arm, Cambie, City Centre, Hamilton Community Associations, Steveston Community Society. (Note: Not all organizations may be hiring for this position)
Duties and Responsibilities
- Contribute to the development and implementation of Individual Service Plans or Care Plans for children requiring extra support.
- Incorporate children requiring extra support into regular programming when possible or ensure alternate plans are available.
- Identify the abilities, interests and needs of children and recommend individualized and group activities based on these.
- Ensure activities accommodate and promote inclusion in all aspects of the program.
- Conduct activities with child(ren) on an individual and group basis.
- Discuss background information with parents.
- Report incidents and concerns to supervisor.
- May recommend referrals or additional services for children with professionals such as behavioural therapists, occupational therapists and speech language pathologists in cooperation with instructor/leader.
- Attend regular staff meetings with staff, families, and other organizations.
- Work with appropriate agencies to acquire resources for children requiring extra support.
- Attend to children’s physical needs, which may include toileting and eating.
- Assist child with developing appropriate social skills.
- Assess Care Plan given by staff, families, and other organizations.
- Monitor children in indoor and outdoor activities and during rest periods; conduct activities with children on an individual and group basis.
- Ensure classroom safety as outlined by Health Medical Safety regulations; follow proper Centre protocol.
- Administer medications as required in accordance with established policy
- Keep program facilities and equipment safe and clean, reporting any repairs and concerns to senior staff.
- Record pertinent information daily in the communication book.
- Responsible to document and report child abuse to supervisors and the Ministry.
- Responsible to fill out Incident and First Aid Report forms.
- Other related duties as assigned and may vary according to facility.
- Assist program staff to create an indoor and outdoor environment that allows for accessibility to and safety of children requiring extra support.
- High school graduation and up to 6 months experience working with children or an equivalent combination of education and experience Police Information Check
- Emergency Child Care First Aid or Standard First Aid including CPR B or higher
- BCRPA High Five - Principles of Healthy Child Development Certification
- Licensing Requirements (if applicable): 19+ years of age, Physician Note, Immunization records
- ECE certificate or family license with min. 40 hours of work experience
- Post basic ECE training
- Completed guiding and caring courses
- Training/courses in behavioural/developmental challenges, autism spectrum, special needs therapies
Hours and Compensation
- Up to 35 hours/week for 8-14 weeks
The closing date for this position is Sunday, May 24, 2020 at 11:59pm. To apply, please click on the apply now button to fill out the application form and to attach your resume and cover letter. The Richmond Summer Committee thanks all applicants in advance for their interest. Only those candidates under further consideration will be contacted. This position is restricted to those legally entitled to work in Canada.
Duties may be carried out in a City owned facility, however the City is not the Employer for this position.