Summer Leader I
Applications are now being accepted for Summer Leader I positions with Richmond community associations in Parks and Recreation. This person will be reporting to the Summer Coordinator, Childcare Coordinator, Director of Childcare, or Community Facility Coordinator. The Leader I assists in the instruction of program activities on a day to day basis under the direct supervision of the Leader II or Leader III position.
Successful candidates may be employed by the following organizations: West Richmond, Sea Island, Thompson, South Arm, Cambie, City Centre, Hamilton Community Associations; Steveston Community Society. (Note: Not all organizations may be hiring for this position).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- May be required to assist in the organization and implementation of children’s activities and special events.
- Lead, interact and build relationships with children in a variety of activities, sports and games.
- Work with volunteers in the provision of activities.
- Greet parents at the beginning and end of the day and discuss information in weekly calendars and other written notices.
- Communicate with other staff and volunteers.
- Positive role model for participants.
- Follow facility and/or licensing protocol for programs, emergency situations and out-trips.
- Monitor children in indoor and outdoor activities.
- Ensure attendance procedures are followed.
- Report suspected child abuse, endangerment and neglect to supervisor.
- Set up of the program room or space.
- Record information pertaining to children and families in program’s communication book.
- Assist with filling out accident and/or incident report forms.
- Clean and maintain room and equipment; assess toys and furnishings on a regular basis and report damaged items to supervisor.
- Other related duties as assigned and may vary according to facility.
- Completion of Grade 9 and 50 hours of experience working or volunteering with children, or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- BCRPA High Five - Principles of Healthy Child Development Certification
- Emergency Child Care First Aid or Standard First Aid and CPR Level B (or higher)
- Successful candidates will be required to pass a police information check
- AED Training
- Second language
- Coaching and leadership experience
- Training and/or experience with individuals that require extra support
Hours, Compensation and Benefits:
- Up to 35 hours/week for 4-9 weeks
- $13.85/hour (As of June 1, 2020 $14.60/hour)
The closing date for this position is Sunday, May 24, 2020 at 11:59pm. To apply, please click on the apply now button to fill out the application form and to attach your resume and cover letter. The Richmond Summer Committee thanks all applicants in advance for their interest. Only those candidates under further consideration will be contacted. This position is restricted to those legally entitled to work in Canada.
Duties may be carried out in a City owned facility, however the City is not the Employer for this position.