Group Fitness Instructor
Applications are now being accepted for the Group Fitness Instructor position. Under the direction of the Fitness Coordinator provides class instruction to clients attending registered or drop in fitness classes.
Successful candidates may be employed by the following organizations: West Richmond, Sea Island, Thompson, South Arm, Cambie, City Centre, Hamilton Community Associations; Steveston Community Society; Richmond Fitness and Wellness Association. (Note: Not all organizations may be hiring for this position).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop group fitness programs for patrons and act as a fitness resource person for the community members
- Assist with the development and/or submit recommendations for group fitness programs at the facility
- Teach group fitness classes; improve technique; supervise and ensure the safety of patrons enrolled in registered or drop-in group fitness in the fitness facility/area.
- Promote and market changing fitness programs; have a working knowledge of available programs provided at various Richmond community centres.
- Ensure the fitness facility/area is a safe environment and report any equipment malfunctions or safety issues to the Fitness Coordinator; ensure equipment is properly maintained, stored and locked.
- Display PAR-Q sign and ensure it is read by all participants; hand out and collect PAR-Q forms if needed; provide a verbal PAR Q for all new participants at the beginning of class.
- Arrange for a substitute instructor from approved lists if unable to teach assigned class; notify the Fitness Coordinator of absence; notify a front desk attendant by phone if late.
- Ensure patrons have wristbands
- Attend meetings with the fitness staff and/or the Fitness Committee on request
- Responsible to fill out accident report forms.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- High school graduation or equivalent PLUS one or more of the following designations dependent upon course of instruction:
- Group Fitness: BCRPA Group Fitness or accepted equivalent
- Aquatic Fitness: BCRPA Aquatic Fitness designation or accepted equivalent
- Equivalency designations must include proof of personal liability insurance
- Standard or Emergency First Aid & CPR
- Police Information Check
- Group Fitness: One year’s experience (minimum 70 hours) with group fitness classes in a public facility OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Yoga: BCRPA Yoga Fitness OR Yoga certification from a yoga Alliance recognized certifying body.
- Pilates: BCRPA Pilates OR a recognized certificate with more than 40 hours theory and practical exam, Stott, Physical Mind, Method Pilates, etc.
- Specialized fitness programs may require additional designations such as: Third Age, Adaptive.
Compensation and Benefits:
How to Apply:
This is an ongoing job posting. To apply for this position, please email email@example.com
(Adobe PDF or MS Word format only)
This position is restricted to those legally entitled to work in Canada.
Duties may be carried out in a City owned facility, however the City is not the Employer for this position.