Preschool Support Worker
Reporting to the Preschool Coordinator, helps assist the program team to deliver an active and well-organized program; supports the program when a child requiring extra support is in attendance.
South Arm Community Centre
Duties and Responsibilities
- Contribute to the development and implementation of Individual Service Plans for children requiring extra support; incorporate children requiring extra support into regular programming when possible or ensure alternate plans are available; identify the abilities, interests and needs of children and recommend individualized and group activities based on these.
- Assist program staff to create an indoor and outdoor environment that allows for accessibility to and safety of children requiring extra support.
- Ensure activities accommodate and promote inclusion in all aspects of the program.
- Conduct activities with children on an individual and group basis.
- Discuss background information with parents to offer continuity between home and program (i.e. using similar routines and structure); record pertinent information daily in the communication book and report problems and concerns to senior staff.
- May recommend referrals or additional services for children with professionals such as behavioural therapists, occupational therapists and speech language pathologists in cooperation with instructor/leader.
- Participate in meetings with families when required.
- Work with appropriate agencies to acquire resources for children requiring extra support.
- Assist children with toileting and as required.
- Administer medications as required in accordance with established policy.
- Attend program planning and staff meetings to assess and discuss program plans and goals.
- Responsible to document and report child abuse to supervisors and the Ministry.
- Responsible to fill out accident report forms.
- High school graduation and up to six month’s experience working with children or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Criminal record check.
- Emergency Childcare First Aid or Standard First Aid including CPR B or higher.
- 19+ year of age
- Immunization records
- ECE certificate or family license with min. 40 hours of work experience.
- Post basic ECE training.
- Training/courses in behavioural/developmental challenges, autism spectrum, special needs therapies.
- Completed guiding and caring courses.
- Tuesday/Thursday 9:00am – 12:00pm
- 6 hours per week
- Rate of pay = $18.39/hr
- Start date: January 4, 2022
How to Apply
Applicant should submit a detailed resume and cover letter that reflects their knowledge, skills and abilities relevant to the position, no later than 5:00 pm, December 28, 2021 to:
South Arm Community Centre
Nastasia Zhuk, Preschool Coordinator, South Arm Community Association
8880 Williams Road
Richmond, BC V7A 1G6
(Adobe PDF or MS Word format only)
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest. However, only those under consideration will be contacted.
Duties may be carried out in a City owned facility, however the City is not the Employer for this position
This position is restricted to those legally entitled to work in Canada.