Changing and Updating Business LicenceIf there are changes to your existing licence, a Business Licence Application Form must be completed and submitted to update the business licence. Changes include any amendments to a company name, trade name, address or classification. If a change of ownership has occurred, you must also complete and submit a Transfer of Licence Form.
Applications of Changes to Existing Licences Can Be Submitted By:
- email to BusLic@richmond.ca (preferred; the application fee can be made by credit card via 604-276-4328)
- fax to 604-276-4157
- mail to City of Richmond, Business Licence Division, 6911 No. 3 Road, V6Y 2C1
- in person at Richmond City Hall, during regular business hours Monday to Friday 8:15 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
If you will not be operating or have ceased operations your business in Richmond, please notify the Business Licence office by one of the above methods.
Application will not be processed without the Application Fee.
You may pay with cash, cheque, money order, Interac card, or credit card through the following options. For the applicable Business Licence fees, please refer to the Consolidated Fees Bylaw in the City Bylaws section (Chapter 5) of this website.
- By Phone – provide your credit card information to Business Licence Division at 604-276-4328
- By Mail – mail your payment to Richmond City Hall, 6911 No. 3 Road, Richmond, BC V6Y 2C1, attention Business Licence Division.
- In Person – bring your payment to Richmond City Hall, 6911 No. 3 Road, during regular business hours, Monday to Friday, 8:15 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
For businesses intending to operate from their residence;
- please see Appendix B and ensure that you review and understand the regulations for operating a business in a residential district
- please also complete Appendix C and submit with the completed business licence application form
- please complete Appendix D and submit with the completed application form
Please note applications cannot be processed unless the forms have been completed in full and all required registrations and/or tickets of qualifications and fees are submitted.
Our processing time for complete business licence applications for change of address (except for non-resident and home-based businesses) is about 4 to 6 weeks or less, provided that all requirements and approvals have been met. Required time is shorter for complete applications that do not include change of business address.
The processing time varies depending on complexity of the requirements and required approvals. Required approvals include, but not limited to, Zoning, Building, Health, or/and Fire approvals. The processing time may take longer if your case is complex or if there are missing documents (e.g. professional certificate, dealership licence, ownership transfer documents, payment, etc.).
Please refer to Appendix A: A Guide to the Business Licence Application Process for more information of business licence application process.