Green Cart Recycling - Curbside Collection
Richmond Green Cart recycling program is available to all Richmond residents to ensure they have a convenient service to recycle food scraps, yard and garden trimmings, which are banned from the garbage, see Food Scraps Disosal Ban. Green Cart recycling totalled approximately 18,495 tonnes in 2015 - a 13.4% increase over 2014.
How to Use Green Cart
When you recycle with your Green Cart, you are helping to turn food scraps and yard trimmings into compost for nutrient-rich soil. It's easy and convenient - just follow four simple steps. You're also contributing toward our objective of 80% waste diversion by 2020.
Step 1: Collect food scraps in your kitchen container.
Step 2: Empty materials from your kitchen container into your Green Cart.
Step 3: Place yard trimmings into your Green Cart along with your food scraps. (Extra yard trimmings can go in large paper yard waste bags or additional labeled Green Cans.) Please note that plastic bags including compostable/biodegradable plastic bags are NOT accepted.
Step 4: Place your Green Cart at the curb along with unlimited paper yard waste bags and/or Green Cans, Blue Box and garbage by 7:30 a.m. on your regular collection day.
What Goes in Your Green Cart
Please use your Green Cart to recycle yard trimmings and food scraps. See table below for a list of accepted and not accepted items.
*Accepted for drop-off recycling at Richmond Recycling Depot
Tips for Using Bundles and Green Cans
Additional food scraps and yard trimmings can be placed in labeled Green Cans and/or paper yard waste bags (trimmings only).
- Ensure Green Can label faces the street to ensure it's easy for collectors to spot
- Containers cannot exceed 80 L in capacity and cannot weigh more than 20 kg (44 lbs)
- Keep lids on tight to minimize extra weight from water and keep animals out
- When closing full yard waste bags tightly fold and secure top of bag
- Yard trimmings in tied bundles no larger than 3 feet x 2 feet (91 cm x 61 cm) in size and branches must be less than 4 inches in diameter will continue to be collected
- Green Can decals can be picked up at City Hall, Recycling Depot or email Environmental Programs (email@example.com) for the decals to be mailed to your address.
Related Links and Resources
FAQ on fhe Food Scraps Disposal Ban
Food Scraps and Yard Trimmings Recycling Tips
Instructions to fold newspaper bin liner
Video instructions to fold newspaper bin liner
About Green Recycling
Composting at Home