About Green Recycling
Welcome to Richmond's Green Cart Program for Recycling Food Scraps and Yard Trimmings
Richmond's Green Cart recycling program is available to all Richmond residents to ensure they have a convenient access to recycle food scraps, yard and garden trimmings, which are banned from the garbage. For more information about Metro Vancouver Organic Disposal Ban, see Food Scraps Disposal Ban.
Please Note: Residents with curbside collection may supplement the Green Cart with Green Cans and/or paper yard waste bags to recycle food scraps and yard trimmings. (Program restrictions apply such as weight limit, container size, clearly displayed decals, etc.).
CURBSIDE GREEN CART RECYCLING
CENTRALIZED GREEN CART RECYCLING
ORGANICS DISPOSAL BAN FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Green Cart Frequently Asked Questions
Yard & Garden Trimmings Drop-Off
Composting At Home
Let’s Trim Our Waste. Recycling food scraps and yard trimmings is a great way to expand household recycling, and it’s part of the steps we can take in our community to get to 80% waste diversion. That means less waste going into landfills, and more recyclables being turned into new products or resources. Residents can also help by recycling products like electronics, tires and batteries using industry take back programs for materials that are banned from landfills and consistently recycling their plastic, glass and paper products using their Blue Box or Blue Cart. Richmond is working with community members and its partners throughout the region to divert 80% of waste from the landfill by 2020, and every resident plays a role in achieving this goal. Together, we can make change happen.
Related Links and Resources
- FAQ on Food Scraps Disposal Ban
- Curbside Green Cart Brochure ( English, Traditional Chinese)
- Centralized Green Cart Brochure ( English, Traditional Chinese)
- Metro Vancouver "Hungry Bins" Video
- Metro Vancouver "Why Compost?" Video
- Instruction to fold newspaper liner for kitchen container
- Video instructions to fold newspaper liner for kitchen container
- Regional Recycling Hotline: 604-732-9253
- Composting Hotline: 604-736-2250