Maintenance & Recycling Tips
Following are easy and convenient tips to recycle your food scraps and yard trimmings in the Green Cart and/or Green Cans.
- Wrap food scraps in small amounts of newspaper, used paper towels or pizza delivery boxes before adding to your kitchen container or Green Cart. Consider putting smelly materials in the freezer until collection day, then add them to your Green Cart/Can.
- Layer food scraps with drier materials such as yard trimmings in your Green Cart/Can.
- Keep your kitchen container and Green Cart clean by lining your bin with a few sheets of newspaper, used paper towels, paper grocery bags or paper bin liner bags available at retailers, or simply rinse container regularly. If required, use phosphate-free and environmentally friendly detergents and soaps.
- Keep animals and insects out by keeping your Green Cart/Can lid closed at all times (just as you would for your garbage).
- Fruit flies are more common during warm weather. In the kitchen capture fruit flies with a bowl of vinegar covered with plastic wrap with several small holes in it.
- Sprinkle your Green Cart/Can or kitchen container with baking soda to eliminate any odours and deter insects.
- Store your Green Cart/Can in a shady area out of direct sunlight. Consider storing your Green Cart/Can and paper yard waste bags inside a shed or garage until collection day.
- Put your Green Cart/Can out for collection in the morning (before 7:30 a.m.) rather than the night before. Place the Green Cart/Can out for collection every week even if it is not full.
Helpful Links and Resources