Event Organizer Responsibilities
An event organizer has six key responsibilities associated with recycling and waste management at events. For tips and guidelines for each responsibility area, please see Solutions for Successful Recycling and Waste Management.
- Complete and submit a Recycling and Waste Management Plan to the City of Richmond’s Environmental Programs as part of the event application approval process.
- Provide an adequate number of containers for the recycling of materials banned from disposal in regular garbage. Materials banned from the garbage include:
- corrugated cardboard;
- recyclable paper and newsprint;
- beverage containers (all except milk cartons), including containers made of glass, metal; and
- recyclable plastics (1, 2, 4 and 5)
- Provide an adequate number of containers for garbage disposal. It is important to consider the number of people attending the event, the size of the venue and the types of potential recycling, such as the increase in recycled materials when food vendors are on site. We suggest one recycling station for every 500 attendees with a minimum of one garbage cart per station. If you wish to use services provided by the City, visit Rentals and Services Application Form for more information.
- Make arrangements for removal and proper disposal of garbage and recyclables collected. If you wish to use services provided by the City, visit Rentals and Services Application Form for more information.
- Make arrangements for litter collection.
- Minimize waste at events by working together with event/venue staff, volunteers and vendors.