Clothes Washer Rebate Program
Replace your old clothes washer with a new, high-efficiency ENERGY STAR® clothes washer and receive a $100 or $200 rebate!
Clothes washers are the second highest water users for a typical home (after toilets), using approximately 21 per cent of indoor household water. Switching to a high-efficiency clothes washer can save you up to 64,000 litres of water and 256 kWh of electricity per year. As a result, you should realize a cost savings on metered City utilities, as well as BC Hydro electricity or FortisBC natural gas.
The purpose of the Clothes Washer Rebate Program is to encourage residents to replace old clothes washers with high-efficiency models in order to conserve water and energy, as well as to reduce costs. Residents will enjoy a reduction on their metered City utility bill and BC Hydro or FortisBC bill, while contributing to a sustainable water and energy conservation initiative.
This rebate is available to Richmond residents for eligible clothes washer purchases made from May 1 to June 30, 2016 and October 1 to November 30, 2016. This is a joint program between the City of Richmond and BC Hydro. Richmond is matching BC Hydro's $50/$100 rebate, to provide a total rebate of $100/$200. Submit applications within 60 days of purchase to BC Hydro. BC Hydro will issue a cheque for the total rebate amount of $100/$200.
As an additional bonus, BC Hydro has also partnered with Samsung, LG and Home Depot, Home Depot and Samsung are offering to match BC Hydro's rebate, and LG is offering a $50 rebate on eligible models. The Samsung rebate will apply to eligible Samsung models, the LG rebate will apply to eligible LG models and the Home Depot rebate will apply to eligible models purchased at Home Depot. Including City participation, the rebate for an eligible Samsung clothes washer purchased at Home Depot could be up to $400. Visit powersmart.ca/appliances for additional details on stacked rebate offers.
How to Qualify
- The rebate applies to residents of single- or multi-family dwellings. Industrial, commercial and other non-residential properties are not eligible at this time.
- The clothes washer must be purchased between May 1 to June 30, 2016 and October 1 to November 30, 2016.
- The new clothes washer must replace an existing one.
- Lifetime maximum of one rebate per dwelling.
Which Clothes Washers are Eligible for the Rebate?
- The new clothes washer must be a model included on BC Hydro's pre-qualified list. Use the Product Eligibility Search Tool at powersmart.ca/appliances to find out which products are eligible.
- Eligible clothes washers must have a minimum Integrated Modified Energy Factor (IMEF) of 2.74-2.91 and an Integrated Water Factor (IWF) of 3.5 or less to receive a combined rebate of $100.
- Eligible clothes washers with an IMEF of 2.92 or higher and an IWF of 3.2 or less will be eligible to receive a combined rebate of $200.
The rebate application must be submitted to BC Hydro within 60 days of the clothes washer purchase in order to qualify for the rebate.
- Copy of itemized sales receipt. Receipt must include retailer name, address and phone number, purchase date and price, product make and model.
- Before and after photo, i.e. photo of old clothes washer in place, and photo of new clothes washer in place. Computer prints are acceptable.
Clothes Washer Recycling Options
- Bring your old clothes washer to the Recycling Depot located at 5555 Lynas Lane (open Wednesday to Sunday from 9:00 a.m. to 6:15 p.m.) for free drop-off.
- If you have Blue Box collection, you are entitled to use the Large Item Pick Up Program (4 items per year). For more information, visit http://www.richmond.ca/services/recycling/garbage/largeitem.htm.
Frequently Asked Questions
I submitted my application. How will I receive my rebate?
A rebate cheque is generally mailed within 10 to 12 weeks from BC Hydro. Use the reference number to track the status of your rebate.
Why should I replace my old clothes washer?
Clothes washers account for 21 per cent of the water used in the average home, and this water is subsequently sent into our regional sanitary sewer systems for treatment. Less water used also means less power required to heat the water. Switching to a high-efficiency clothes washer could save 64,000 litres of water and 256 kWh of electricity per year, which means lower City metered utility bills and BC Hydro or FortisBC bills.
Can I receive a rebate for a clothes washer that I replaced several years ago?
No, the rebate is only for clothes washers purchased and installed during May 1 to June 30, 2016 or October 1 to November 30, 2016, and the application must be submitted within 60 days of purchase.
Does anyone check the clothes washer installation?
The City of Richmond reserves the right to arrange for an inspection of your newly-installed clothes washer.
Can I keep my old clothes washer?
No, one of the purposes of the rebate program is promoting water and energy conservation. The program requires the old clothes washer to be recycled in order to ensure that they are no longer in circulation.
Why is water conservation important?
One reason is to delay further expansions to our drinking water supply system so that our resources can be spent on improving our existing system and water quality. Despite B.C.’s prevalent rainfall, there is a finite amount of drinking water available, especially during the summer season.
Saving water also helps the environment. The more water we use, the more that is drained from our watersheds, which also serve as habitat to fish and wildlife. As well, heating water requires energy. The less water that must be heated the less energy we use.
Where do I get more information?
How to Apply
- Take a photograph of the old clothes washer in place.
- Purchase and install qualified high-efficiency clothes washer between May 1 - June 30, 2016 or October 1 and November 30, 2016.
- Take a photograph of the newly-installed clothes washer in place
- Recycle the old clothes washer.
- Complete the application form online (powersmart.ca/appliances) and print. Submit your application package, including photos and sales receipt copy to BC Hydro within 60 days of purchase.