Permits & Licences
This page was developed to help you locate the forms and/or related information available on this website that you would require to apply for a City licence or permit.
If you have questions regarding any of these application forms please contact our Customer Service Centre or see Contact Us to find the department contact.
* if text appears with no link, we are in the process of adding this content to the site, or it is not available.
- Rezoning, Subdivision, and Development Permits
- Building Approvals
- Street Use for Special Purpose
- Public Event Permits and Licences
- Parking and Towing
- Filming on Location
- Fireworks and Burning
- Business Licences
- Electrical Permits
- Dog Licences
- Not a City Service
Rezoning, Subdivision, and Development Permits
For more complete Information on Development Application Services visit the Business & Development section and hover your mouse over "Development" in the main menu. The following are links to permit information in that section:
- Development Permit Guide
- Rezoning Guide
- Subdivision Guide
- Application Forms & Information
- Development Variance Permit * - Use the Development Application form
- Temporary Commercial and Industrial Use Permits - Use the Development Application form to apply.
For complete Information on Building Approvals Services visit the Planning, Building & Development section and hover your mouse over "Building" in the main menu. The following are links to permit information in that section:
Fire Sprinklers Permits
Plumbing & Gas Permits
Demolition or Moving a Building /Permit to Move a House
Other Building Permits
- Provisional Occupancy Permit - Call 604-276-4278 *
- Occupancy Permit for Temporary Buildings - 604-276-4278 *
- The City's Tree Protection Bylaw generally prohibits the cutting or removal of any tree larger than 8 inches (20 cm) in diameter at breast height (dbh) without a permit. For more information see Tree Removal
- Soil Replacement & Removal*
No information is available onsite at this time. Please contact:
- Building Moves
- Construction Zone Permit - Temporary Occupancy of City Street
- Painting House Address Numbers on Street Allowance
- Public Event *
- Vehicle Oversize/Overweight
- Permit to Place Newspaper and Advertising Vending Boxes
Contact: 604 276-4030
- Licence to Encroach on Vehicle or Pedestrian Rights-of-Way
* To use other City owned facilities for Public Events or to obtain the necessary permits and licences see our Events Applications and Approvals System, and/or any of the following: Field Bookings, Rental Facilities and Birthday Parties.
Public Event Permits and Licences
To help streamline the permits and licences approvals process for public event the City has developed an online Event Applications and Approvals System that will take you through the steps of getting what is necessary for your event and provide you with all the related information.
Parking and Towing
- Towing Permits
- Pay Parking Permits
- Parking Permits for People with Disabilities
Contact: Disability Resource Centre
#160-5726 Minoru Blvd
Commercial Vehicle Licences
Fireworks and Burning
The Fire-Rescue Department issues the following permits:
- Low / High Hazard Fireworks - Public Display (Qualified Fire Works Supervisor)
- Outdoor Burning - Agricultural Only (October 01 - April 30)
- Business Licences
Note: Road Side Stands and Amusement Centres are regulated differently, but require the same business licence application form.
- The BC Safety Authority is the electrical permitting authority for Richmond. Those doing regulated electrical work in permanent buildings are required to obtain a permit before they begin. Electrical Permits, depending on the scope of work, may be required for temporary structures or buildings including those associated with special events such as filming. For more information on performing electrical work, getting your permit and working with contractors visit Safety Authority.
Not a City Service
The licences listed below are not administered by the City they are handled by other agencies. Because we are frequently asked about these, we have provided the referral information below.
Day Care Licences
Richmond Health Department inspects and licences daycare facilities. The Health Department fall under the Provincial Government. See Community Care Facilities for more information.
Contact: Richmond Health Department 604-233-3147
Hunting and Fishing Licences
The Provincial Government regulates hunting and fishing licences through the Fish & Wildlife Branch.
The Provincial Government regulates liquor licences through the Liquor Control and Licencing Branch.
Driver Licencing is a Provincial Government responsibility which has been contracted to ICBC the crown corporation responsible for driver insurance.
Please see the ICBC Driver Licensing webpage.
Contact: ICBC Driver Testing and Vehicle Information 604-661-2255
The registering of births, deaths, and marriages, and the issuing of licences and certificates is a Provincial Government responsibility. See the Ministry of Health Services, British Columbia Vital Statistics Agency website at: www.vs.gov.bc.ca