- Benefits of Licencing your Dog
- How to Licence a Dog
- Dog Licence Renewals
- Payment Options
- Licence Fees
- More Information
Dog Licence Benefits
- Provides dog identification services which allow the City to return your dog if it is lost or stolen.
- Provides statistics on the number of dogs within our city to help better assess the need for facilities and programs.
- Licensing revenue helps support animal related programs within our community such as the Richmond Animal Protection Society (RAPS).
How to License and Register a Dog
City of Richmond Bylaw 7138 states all dog owners who reside in Richmond are required to purchase a licence and register their dog over the age of eight weeks. Owners with dogs less than eight weeks of age are encouraged to register their dog and by doing so, will receive a free licence.
There is a maximum of three dogs per single-family dwelling and two dogs per multiple-family dwelling unit.
To license your new dog, you can download and complete the licence application form here: 2014 Dog Licence Application Form
Application forms are also available at City Hall, located at 6911 No. 3 Road.
Things to Remember
- You must provide a spayed or neutered document at the time of licensing to receive the discounted rate.
- Licence fees are non-refundable.
- Licence fees are not transferable.
Dog Licence Renewals
In December, invoices are mailed to all previously licensed dog owners within the City of Richmond. These invoices are for dog licences for the upcoming new calendar year.
Dogs must be licensed for every calendar year. Spayed and neutered dogs that have been previously licensed with the City do not require proof of spaying or neutering when renewing licence.
How to Update your Dog's File
You can update your dog's file by:
- Email: email@example.com
- Fax: 604-276-4036
- Phone: 604-247-4633
- By mail to Dog Licensing, Community Bylaws Department, City of Richmond, 6911 No. 3 Road, V6Y 2C1 (Cheque only. Do not mail cash.)
- In person at Richmond City Hall, 6911 No. 3 Road (Cash, cheque, or debit.)
- Renew Online with Visa or Mastercard (You will need the account number from your renewal notice, mailed out in early December). A 2014 decal will be mailed to you once all outstanding fees are paid.
Dogs under eight weeks of age receive free licences. Dogs older than eight weeks of age are required to purchase a licence. The cost of licensing your dog will vary based on whether the dog is spayed or neutered, if it is deemed dangerous, and when you purchase the licence.
All licences that are paid before March 1, 2014 are eligible for a discounted rate. For licence renewals, the discounted fee is already reflected on the invoice.
Dog owners who are aged 65 years or older receive a discounted rate before March 1. After March 1, the full licence fee will apply. Licence fees are non-refundable. Please see fees below.
|Dogs Spayed or Neutered|
|Before March 1, 2014||$21.50 (Discounted)|
|Before March 1, 2014 (Seniors Rate)||$10.75 (Discounted)|
|On or After March 1, 2014||$32.25|
|Dogs Not Spayed or Neutered|
|Before March 1, 2014||$53.50 (Discounted)|
|On or After March 1, 2014||$74.50|
|Dangerous Dogs Spayed or Neutered|
|Before March 1, 2014||$161.00 (Discounted)|
|Before March 1, 2014 (Seniors Rate)||$80.25 (Discounted)|
|On or After March 1, 2014||$214.00|
|Dangerous Dogs Not Spayed or Neutered|
|Before March 1, 2014||$214.00 (Discounted)|
|After March 1, 2014||$267.00|
|Replacement Tag and Valid Out-of-Jurisdiction|
To enquire about dog licences, please call 604-247-4633 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
The City of Richmond encourages responsible pet ownership through licensing, public education and enforcement. The penalty for an unlicensed dog is up to $325.00. An unlicensed dangerous dog penalty is up to $525.00. Both are subject to court prosecution up to $10,000.