- Benefits of Licensing your Dog
- How to License a Dog
- Dog Licence Renewals
- Payment Options
- Licence Fees
- More Information
- Provide a dog identification service which allows the City to return your dog if it is lost or stolen.
- Provides statistics on the number of dogs within our city to help better assess the need for facilities and programs.
- Licensing revenue helps support animal related programs within our community such as the Richmond Animal Protection Society (RAPS).
How to License and Register a Dog
City of Richmond Bylaw 7138 states all dog owners who reside in Richmond are required to purchase a licence and register their dog(s) over the age of eight weeks.
There is a maximum of three dogs allowed per single-family dwelling and two dogs per multiple-family dwelling unit.
To license your new dog, you can download and complete the licence application form here: 2015 Dog Licence Application Form
Application forms are also available at City Hall, located at 6911 No. 3 Road.
Things to Remember
- You must provide a spayed or neutered document at the time of licensing to receive the discounted rate.
- Licence fees are non-refundable.
- Licences are not transferable.
Dog Licence Renewals
In December, invoices are mailed to all previously licensed dog owners within the City of Richmond. These invoices are for dog licences for the upcoming new calendar year.
Dogs must be licensed for every calendar year. Spayed and neutered dogs that have been previously licensed with the City do not require proof of spaying or neutering when renewing licence.
How to Update your Dog Licence
You will need to update your dog licence account if you have a change of address or contact information.
To update your dog licence account:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax: 604-276-4036
- Phone: 604-247-4633
How to Cancel your Dog Licence
You will need to cancel your dog licence if:
- Your dog has passed away
- You gave your dog to another person
- You have moved out of the City of Richmond
To cancel your dog licence account, email email@example.com or call 604-247-4633.
- By mail to Dog Licensing, Community Bylaws Department, City of Richmond, 6911 No. 3 Road, V6Y 2C1 (Cheque only. Do not mail cash.)
- In person at Richmond City Hall, 6911 No. 3 Road (Cash, cheque, or debit.)
- Renew online with Visa or Mastercard (You will need the account number from your renewal notice, mailed out in early December). A 2015 decal will be mailed to you once all outstanding fees are paid.
Dogs older than eight weeks of age are required to purchase a licence. The cost of licensing your dog will vary based on whether the dog is spayed or neutered, if it is deemed dangerous, and when you purchase the licence.
All licences that are paid before March 1, 2015 are eligible for a discounted rate. For licence renewals, the discounted fee is already reflected on the invoice.
Dog owners who are aged 65 years or older receive a discounted rate before March 1. After March 1, the full licence fee will apply. Licence fees are non-refundable. Please see fees below.
|Dogs Spayed or Neutered|
|Before March 1, 2015||$22.00 (Discounted)|
|Before March 1, 2015 (Seniors Rate)||$11.00 (Discounted)|
|On or After March 1, 2015||$33.00|
|Dogs Not Spayed or Neutered|
|Before March 1, 2015||$54.50 (Discounted)|
|On or After March 1, 2015||$76.00|
|Dangerous Dogs Spayed or Neutered|
|Before March 1, 2015||$164.00 (Discounted)|
|Before March 1, 2015 (Seniors Rate)||$81.75 (Discounted)|
|On or After March 1, 2015||$218.00|
|Dangerous Dogs Not Spayed or Neutered|
|Before March 1, 2015||$218.00 (Discounted)|
|After March 1, 2015||$272.00|
|Replacement Tag and Valid Out-of-Jurisdiction|
To inquire about dog licences, please call 604-247-4633 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
The City of Richmond encourages responsible pet ownership through licensing, public education and enforcement. The penalty for an unlicensed dog is up to $325.00. An unlicensed dangerous dog penalty is up to $525.00. Both are subject to court prosecution up to $10,000.