Garden City Lands
The Garden City Lands are an extraordinary 55.2 hectares (136.5 acres) of open space located within the Agricultural Land Reserve, in the heart of Richmond, between Westminster Highway, Alderbridge Way, Garden City Way and No. 4 Road. The Garden City Lands will become a major new community park with diverse uses, including urban agriculture, environmental preservation and interpretation, recreational and cultural uses.
The Garden City Lands Park Development Plan represents the synthesis of the original Garden City Lands Legacy Landscape Plan endorsed by Richmond City Council in 2014, with new science-based recommendations as well as the feedback the City received from hundreds of Richmond residents and the contribution of Kwantlen Polytechnic University regarding agricultural production. Council has approved funding for the phased implementation of the Garden City Lands Park Development Plan.
To review the Development Plan and an enlarged version of the Legacy Landscape Plan above, please see the following pdf document:
GCL Park Development Plan - PDF
The Park Development Plan key components includes:
- The Agricultural Lands
- The Bog
- The Rise
- The Nodes
- The Dyke
- Perimeter Trails
The work completed during the 2016 construction season included building dyke and associated drainage control structures.
In the Spring and Summer of 2017, the following will be constructed as weather conditions permit:
- Perimeter pedestrian and bicycle paths;
- Completion of the seepage barrier along the central dyke and along Westminster Highway;
- Installation of site infrastructure (drainage ditches, storm sewer connections and weir structures, preparation for electrical and water connections);
- Placement of soil for the initial phase of farm development (subject to approval by the Agricultural Land Commission);
- Hydroseeding of exposed peat soils along paths; and
- Fall/Winter tree planting along the perimeter.
Water and Ecological Resource Management
Implementation of the plan will be a multi-year process. The City commissioned a detailed water and ecological resource management study to guide the development and maintenance of the site.
Related Documents and Resources
Garden City Lands Archive
Additional related documents and archived resource documents for the Garden City Lands site can be found on the Garden City Lands Archive page.