Awards & Achievements
People, Innovation through Collaboration, Vision,
Outstanding Results, Team
“I was part of the team that worked tirelessly down to the last hour on the Olympic proposal. When the City of Richmond was awarded the Oval, it was hugely rewarding. The diversity of projects is unique because we work with all the divisions, associations and partners.”
The City of Richmond is proud to be an award-winning organization recognized for innovative leadership, programs and strategies.
- Having the second lowest taxes among the largest cities in our region, thanks to our City’s Long Term Financial Management Strategy, which caps annual tax increases.
- Having guaranteed more than $30 million in land and funding to support two major new affordable housing projects. Together, these projects will see the creation of more than 400 new units for seniors and low income/at-risk residents.
- Implementing the City’s first district energy utility. The Alexandra District Energy Utility (ADEU) was supplying heating and cooling to 600 homes in 2013. When fully operational, the ADEU is projected to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 6,000 tons annually.
- Approving a major $124.1 million capital building program for critically-needed new facilities, without having property taxes impacted by construction costs, all because of our prudent financial planning.
- Opening of the Richmond Olympic Oval, the official home to speed skating for the 2010 Olympic Winter Games. The Richmond Olympic Oval celebrated its fifth anniversary and hosted more than 700,000 visits in 2013.
- Being recognized as home to Canada’s healthiest and longest-living people, according to several sources including Statistics Canada.
"The City has an organizational culture that is championed by the CAO, driven by a Senior Management Team, and has employees playing a large role to shape a positive future in Richmond. Working for the City makes me feel that I am part of a bigger team, making a difference in the community."
- The City received the Professional Development Award from the Canadian Association of Municipal Administrators (CAMA). CAMA’s Professional Development Award recognizes a community that has developed a unique and innovative program for their staff and can be replicated in other communities.
- The City of Richmond was presented with the 2014 Award for Professional Development for its Corporate Programs Management Group (CPMG) initiative. This innovative program was created to: fast track the individual professional development of high potential employees, create organizational bench strength, agility and capacity to address strategic initiatives and complex business priorities, effectively address pending succession issues and produce outstanding organizational and personal development results.
- The City of Richmond has been named as the first winner of the national Culture Days Marketing Award for its promotional program that both recruits and supports local artists, creating an annual celebration for the community to take part in arts and culture.
- The City received a national Energy Globe Award honouring the best new energy project in Canada for its innovative Alexandra District Energy Utility, which uses thermal heating to provide heating and cooling to residential and commercial customers in the surrounding neighbourhood.
- The Alexandra District Energy Utility was honoured with the 2014 Canadian Geo-exchange Coalition Excellence Award which recognizes regional geothermal heat pump projects that showcase both complexity and quality of installation and design.
- Richmond won a pair of awards from the Government Financial Officers Association of North America (GFOANA) for its 2012 Annual Report, marking a decade of excellence in financial reporting. Richmond received the Canadian Award for Financial Reporting for the 11th consecutive year.
- The City also received the association’s Award for Outstanding Achievement in Popular Annual Financial Reporting for the fourth year in a row and was one of only seven cities in Canada to receive this honour.
Learn more about City of Richmond Awards.